Monday, December 26, 2005

So, are you suffering from the post-holiday blues, today? I used to be affected by this. All the anticipation, preparation, culminating in a swift mass of wrapping paper, satin ribbons and white tissue paper. Sometimes, a present was left unnoticed for a few moments and then retrieved, promising to re-stir the anticipation. It was short-lived as the paper was torn from the outside to reveal its contents.

After the birth of my children, Christmas became a bit more special again. Watching my sons' cherubic faces ready to burst with excitement was much more pleasing than being that child once again myself. Now that they are virtually adults themselves, I languish here on the plateau between motherhood and grand-motherhood. Yes, I have step-grandchildren but they do not live near by.

Tomorrow, life will resume much as it was. My husband will return to work. I will return to not working. I will straighten up the mess we made over the weekend since hubby likes the gifts to be spread out for a while. Me? I prefer putting them away as I go along. The contents of my stocking are already packed away as they were mostly sample/travel size toiletries. I am ready for my next trip as my travel bag is re-outfitted.

A gentleman at one of my discussion outlets permitted me to aid his holiday with a small gift. His gratitude was very heartwarming. I don't think he knows how much this helped me to enjoy the holidays this year. Thank you, sir.

My cat is failing. Her last day is not upon us but I can see the decline of her health has started. She is very thin when she had always been slightly overweight. She is very alert and has a good appetite so I think this is just the normal progression of things. I have lived with this animal for 16¾ years. This is longer than I lived with my first husband, my children or my present husband. The only longer live-in relationship I ever had was with my parents. I lived with them for 23 years.

My husband is going to trade computers with me. Mine is horribly slow with videos and such. I am always amazed at his generosity. I used to have beg and pester to get what I wanted from my parents and 1st husband. My present hubby doesn't require that subterfuge. How lucky am I?

I hope those of you who celebrate Christmas enjoyed your day. I hope the migraine monster left you alone. I was able to keep slamming the door shut in his face each time he rang the bell. Soon, my hinges will fail. Yes, I will become unhinged and the migraine monster will gain entry. That is the nature of this beast. It doesn't leave any stone unturned. It will get in, somehow. It might be through the front door when you are wide awake or slip in through the transom as you sleep. Now that's a comforting thought....

No comments: