Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Definite diagnosis. I have Intercranial Hypertension (IOW my cerebral spinal fluid cup is overflowing). So, while I was pretty sure this was going to be confirmed, I am not sure how to take the news.

The blurry vision I have (usually daily but not 100% of the day), is not some sort of perception problem I have. It is an actual illness that is causing it. Plus, this illness could very well leave me blinded. That is frightening. Of all the senses I have, sight is my favorite. I don't want to lose it.

Let me back up a bit, this past Monday was my first neurologist visit since the lumbar puncture. Since the doctor didn't really talk to me that day (other than while he was doing the LP), I had the luxury of halfheartedly thinking the high reading of CSF was something else, something less frightening.

There are millions of worse illnesses one could contract and this one isn't contagious. I am thankful for that. I just don't wish to have to face a possible shunt insertion (to drain spinal fluid into my abdomen) or optic nerve surgery to prevent blindness.

I used to pretend, as a kid, that I had braces or I had a broken arm. Back then, ailments were sometimes envied. Who wouldn't want a cast for everyone to sign? I never pretended I was blind. No, that wasn't fun.

Along with the aforementioned possibilities, I have learned some interesting things about this malady. I have never been able to blow up balloons or floats (inflatable for the beach or pool) without getting a headache. Straining myself physically could also start my head pounding. All perfectly natural to those with IH or PTC.

I am not lazy. I am not ungraceful. I am not making up the pain. I am suffering. I do have a hard time physically sometimes. I do lose balance occasionally and bump into things chronically. No, I am not so bad that Jerry Lewis needs to orchestrate a telethon. I am just bad enough that I notice it all. No one else does.

It's time to park my carcass on the couch. I don't know if anyone reads this blog anymore. It's still cathartic. If you are out there, hello.....

£eslie

1 comment:

Mianna said...

::::raising my hand in California:::: I'm still out here reading!

Makes me want to have an LP done AGAIN....because all the symptoms you talk about....are me as well. I wonder if I want to ask my Dr. about it. He might think I'm nuts too. I haven't a clue what my pressure was back in the late 80's when they did my LP. Something I am going to talk to my husband and mom and gram about though....and then go from there.

Keep me posted on what new things you try and how the Diamox continues to work for you.