How many times can a heart be broken and the owner not become cold to those around her? Caesar is gone. He was just too much for us and for Cleo. My husband took him back to the animal shelter.
Caesar would allow you to pick him up and he'd go limp as a rag doll in your arms. He purred and he was genuinely friendly. What wasn't good was his constant rough play with Cleo. While she was able to hold her own with him, he was too rough.
His teeth are very sharp and he chewed on things beyond my tolerance (dining room table runner, my pocketbook, baskets, house plants, baskets, etc.) Yeah, I love him and the tears are flowing very easily. I never had to give up a cat before.
I am consoled by the fact that he is back at the shelter and they are aware of his good points and bad points. I just worry he will either not be adopted out and spend the rest of his life there or someone will adopt him and not be compassionate. I would hate for his liveliness to be punished with his being abandoned outdoors or with physical retaliation.
Cleo is relaxing in her basket. She has been there since he was taken away. I don't know how long she will wonder whatever happened to him. I'd like to try again with a 2nd cat. While Cleo was often fed up with Caesar's antics, she did get a lot of exercise and stimulation from his company. I just don't want to adopt another cat and have it be a mistake. My heart doesn't do well with this sort of thing.
I'm still crying. It's not as bad as when Indy was put to sleep since Caesar stands a chance at having a nice home in the future. I have a door on my heart that is easily opened by the gentle shove of a kitty cat coming in. It just doesn't allow any of them to exit. Instead, the tears flow and cause me to guard the door from any more entries.
We'll see. Maybe soon another kitty cat will come along and gain entry and not ever have to leave.
Saturday, May 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Sweet Leslie....so sorry that you had to take Caeser back..but you did what the loving RESPONSIBLE pet owner is supposed to do.
But nonetheless...I can imagine the heartache in doing so.
Your kitty has a great mom and dad.
Thinking of you.
Post a Comment