I have 2 cats. Cleo is a chubby, gray striped 6 year old. Angel is white, lanky and 2 years old. As I was watching Oprah yesterday afternoon, I witnessed Cleo prance into the living room with a giant (well, maybe 3-4 inch) lizard in her mouth.
She dropped it and it ran under the couch...where I was sitting! I ran into my room and stuffed a towel under the shut door. I did not want the lizard to get in there!
I'll spare you the hysterics. The following is the text of the email I just sent to my sister.
~~~~~~~~~
About 1½ hours ago, Cleo was at her food dish (which is upon a cafeteria type tray). She was smelling around it suspiciously. Yes, the lizard was wedged between it and the wall (right next to the sliding glass doors).
While I saw the intelligence of being near the exit, I didn't know what that lizard was thinking by hiding under the cat food! LOL So, I shoo-ed Cleo away (and also Angel, who had cottoned onto the curious spectacle). I threw open the sliding door, grabbed my extra-length Swiffer duster and pushed the tray aside.
The lizard was coaxed onto the patio and made a beeline for the farthest wall (which so happens to be as far as he could get from the exterior door). Shutting the sliding door behind me, I proceeded to shoo the lizard along the walls of the patio, and then out the door.
He disappeared into the grass (which needs to be cut very badly). About 10 minutes later, Cleo wanted to go on the patio (very common for her). She is not there but a minute when she bounds over to the exterior door.
She was looking at the bottom of it where the door meets the threshold. There are some blades of grass shut in the door. Surely she only thought she saw something. Her head is going back and forth as if she sees something infinitesimal.
Angel and I are on the inside of the glass watching. Nothing happens. Angel walks off. I retreat to the living room, very pleased that I saved a life. The next thing I see is Cleo bounding around the patio.....with a lizard in her mouth!
OK...I'll cut it short now. I managed to get her inside and left the lizard on the patio. He discharged his tail and ran to the far side of the patio, again (assuming this is the same stupid lizard....yes, stupid!). I attempted to shoo him around again to the door but I think he was just exhausted.
I went inside (backing up all the way...this lizard is not spending another night in here). Angel found a flying insect in the living room. I have to choose my battles. Lizards are not welcome. Flying insects (sans stinging ability) are occasionally tolerated.
Crikey! That was quite an adventure, mate!
Wednesday, September 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Cracking up! Loved the end of the lizard story. One stubborn lizard who seems to have a death wish on himself!
Lizard Watch 2006!
Post a Comment