Saturday, July 02, 2005

I won tickets to a NASCAR Busch series race. My husband is a big NASCAR Nextel Cup race fan but also likes Busch. We ventured to Daytona Beach, yesterday, to enjoy.

We had admission to the hospitality tent and a garage tour. In order to take the garage tour, we had to wear long pants and closed shoes. It is July in Florida. Need I say more?

I will because I can't believe I thought this was going to be a fun day. We parked near the Volusia Mall, which is situated across the street from the extreme eastern portion of the speedway.

We walked and walked, asked questions, got directions and finally found ourselves at the hospitality tent on the extreme west side of the speedway! This is a 2½ mile track. We walked at least 2 miles in the hot, Florida sun.

I practically collapsed in the tent but it was air conditioned after a fashion and I revived a bit. They gave us a plastic Busch logo drawstring bag with a t-shirt, key fob, can cozy and hat (all with the Busch beer logo). They had beer, bottled water and Pepsi on ice for us. I detest Pepsi (I'm a Coca Cola person) but I had one. I needed the jolt of the caffeine.

Once revived, we went on the garage tour. That involved more walking, a tram ride and then more walking. We saw stuff I have absolutely no interest in and I saw Tony Stewart (the #20 car in the Nextel Series) and we went back to the tent.

We had hamburgers, baked beans, cole slaw and a brownies. Then we headed to our seats for the race. They were still doing qualifying (each car goes around the track 3 times by itself and its speed is measured. This determines at which place the car starts the race). The qualifying was for the Nextel Cup cars for the race on Saturday.

We had good seats but were eventually surrounded by smokers. I was miserable. I cannot collect the enthusiasm to enjoy cars going around in circles. It's just not interesting. My husband wasn't comfortable with the smoke and said we could leave.

I know, I know, it is stupid to do all that and not even see any of the race for which we had tickets. We walked all the way back to our car (it was about 8 o'clock at this point) and then drove the 45 minute drive home.

I have now promised my husband that I will never again suggest we go see a race in person. It's just too darned hot and LOUD!

My head survived (had squishy orange ear plugs) but had I stayed at the race, I'm sure I'd be in migraine hell right now. I woke up this morning aching all over. I am out of shape in a very big way! I am not going to live to be a very old woman. I don't have the stamina.

Happy 4th of July weekend, by the way.

No comments: